Project Industrious – Takes Down GROW-OPS
BANCROFT – On September 1, 2009, at approximately 8:00am, police officers from Project Longarm, Belleville, Bancroft and Toronto executed 7 simultaneous Controlled Drug and Substances Act search warrants of suspected marihuana grow operations.
As a result, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), Belleville and Toronto Police officers, assisted by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), OPP Organized Crime Enforcement Bureau, Aviation Services, Emergency Response Team and Tactics and Rescue Unit and the Asian Organized Crime Task Force, arrested eight individuals in relation to illegal operations and seized drugs and drug related property.
In the spring of 2009, investigators began a probe into suspicious property transactions in the City of Belleville. Project INDUSTRIOUS was initiated by members of Project Long Arm, the joint-forces drug enforcement Community Drug Action Team (CDAT), comprised of Kingston West DES members and Belleville Police Service Drug Enforcement Unit, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Organized Crime Enforcement Bureau and OPP Detachments in Hastings and Prince Edward.
On June 16th and 17th, 2009, phase 1 and 2 of Project Industrious were executed and resulted in the seizure of illicit drugs and drug paraphernalia in Belleville, Brighton and Toronto.
The ongoing investigation has identified the presence of very large illicit marijuana grow operations near Bancroft and Toronto. With the assistance of the OPP Physical Surveillance Unit the investigation identified additional areas and suspects in Eastern Ontario and in the City of Toronto. These properties were primarily used as a grow operation.
Yesterday, 8 people were arrested and charged for participation in a criminal organization:
- Ying (Tina) HUANG, 35 year old female of Toronto
- Jian Cheng (John) HUANG, 35 year-old male of Toronto
- Xin Ci WANG, 39 year-old male of Toronto
- Fen Xing CHEN, 51 year-old male of Carlow Mayo Township
- Qui Fang LIN, 31 year-old female of Scarborough
- Yuan tai ZHANG, 35 year-old male of Scarborough
- Fang CHEN, 34 year-old female of
- An unidentified adult male
Warrants were executed at:
- 743 McDonald Mine Road, Hastings Highlands — 3887 marihuana plants were seized with: ballasts, shields, 1000 W bubs, fans and tarps
- 781 New Carlo Road, Carlow Mayo Township — 4360 marihuana plants were seized with: tool box, skill saw, pumps, and generators
- 1623 Madawaska Road, Hastings Highlands — 3453 marihuana plants were seized with: generators and ATV’s
Evidence was seized at the following search locations:
- 33616 King’s Highway 28, Carlo Mayo Township
- 1101 Armstrong Road, Sharbot Lake
- 10 Kentish Crescent, Scarborough
- 1701-45 Huntingdale Blvd., Scarborough
Yesterday, the estimated street value of the marihuana seized was $11,700,000
In total, Project INDUSTRIOUS has resulted in 17 Controlled Drug and Substances Act and Criminal Code Search Warrants and millions of dollars in marihuana being seized. Twelve (12) people have been charged and are presently before the courts.
— Bancroft OPP press release